Saturday, February 9, 2013

Music is EVERYTHING

The type of scene that I write, and the overall tone of that scene is directly related to what is playing on my Pandora station...or maybe it's the other way around. I usually sit down at my desk (environment is very important when we are constructing scenes) plus my speakers in and throw on Lord of the Rings Pandora. Usually when I am actually writing a big scene I can't have music with lyrics in it or else I will start to sing along and lose track of my thoughts and... JUKEBOX HERO, WITH STARS IN HIS EY....well you get the picture--my ADHD kicking in.

Foreigner anyone?


This is probably why some scenes are much more epic than they kind of should be. I start writing to some soft symphony music and then the music from the battle of Helms Deep comes on. Sometimes even, I will specifically pick certain soundtracks or songs according to what type of scene I am writing. For example, the Battle of Sarsallen I put on The Chain by Fleetwood Mac (love me some Stevie Nix) or for scenes with Ghost attacking the Azarians I will put on  some Purple Rain by Prince and that's why Ghost has a bit of a flamboyant side, UH OH!





But really,  my pallet for music is everywhere, I will listen to anything as long as it is good, Flobots, Eminem, Styx, Led Zepplin, Eric Church,  are some of my favorites to name a few.

Sometimes I will even picture the trailer for a Twilight of an Empire movie (getting a bit ahead of ourselves?). The trailer in my mind goes like this:

Silas Barrad is enters the Imperial City's Throne Room during the celebration in the prologue and everything is quiet. Suddenly Renegade (Styx) starts to play. Dennis DeYoung's ominous voice comes in quietly.

"Oh mama I'm in fear for my life from the long arm of the law..."Silas walks slowly towards the king's throne. When the two bass drum kicks hit it flashes to a view of Raelan walking out of the cabin of his ship and Andreos standing on top of a roof staring out into SouthGate.

"Lawman has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home..." Back to Silas Barrad walking towards the throne, a thin smile on his face. The two bass drum kicks come back and flash to Weiran Carian on top of the battlements of Rashaladan awaiting the attack by the Azarians.

So, you get the picture... I mean hell I would watch a movie if they used Renegade in the preview- wouldn't you? (Barring any Taylor Lautner movies... or Rob Schneider...)
 Styx: Renegade

No comments:

Post a Comment